Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Lost in another cup of hot tea...

So I'm sitting here a little more jubilant. My father-in-law is doing much better, the blockage is fixed, he's got color in his skin for the first time in almost a year. I'm almost ready to start school, plus I have a refund of about $2600 coming back, less books. Things might finally be looking up. I can only hope it gets better! I'm also looking into getting back into a band, a little something to do, in a different capacity YET again. Bass and vocals. Interesting. We'll see where it goes, because I hope these guys are open to playing many different genres, including newer stuff.

So I write now, realizing I forgot the under-rated list...on purpose? Hell, who knows, but here it is.

Sitting and getting lost in the music in the headphones. There is no greater pleasure then just experiencing feelings without the interaction from other people, just to sit, feel everything, the breeze of the ceiling fan, the light of the room, the music pulsing the eardrums, the vibration you feel in your head. Turning it down a bit because you realize that's too loud for the current state of things. Singing along because you got lost. Having the wife look at you funny, and then back to the lost.

A bubble bath so hot it turns your skin bright red. Or just a little less than that. As long as it's so hot the muscles relax for a time, that's where it's at!

Top 5, 10, 20 lists. I like them, I don't know why, I quantify many things in my life with these style of lists. I am also currently in the midst of making a Top 1000 list. The top 1000 songs that I would want ANYONE to hear no matter what age they are. From 1909 to 2009...or as far back as my collection goes. I don't think I could do it in 100. I'd be so fucked! I have so many I'd like to put on there, but so many have fallen off the wayside that it's hard to cut more!

Good friends, good pills, good times, good drinks, and good food. There is no ailment or problem that any singular item or combination of any the above can't solve or make better in moderation.

Metal. Any form of music that uses a heavily distorted and awesome minor key and totally rocks your world with words and music of anger is constructive, fuck the naysayers and the horse they rode in on. Life isn't all sunshine and unicorns and rainbows; sometimes life is downright mean, nasty, dirty, skanky and fucking dark! Metal channels that anger and somehow turns it around in the reveling of that darkness to make it back into light, or maybe it's because it balances out the happy pappy crap in this world with a brutal dose of reality straight to the temple. For more of an example of what I feel about metal, listen to Facing What Consumes You, We Still Fight and This Is Now by Hatebreed. It's a start.

Grunge, while technically more of a fashion statement than a musical movement, it still had some good music in there, no, I'm not just talking about Nirvana, there were lots of great bands of that era, because it's in the ear of the beholder, I'm not going to make a list here. But listen to some music from 1987-1995 and you'll see. In reality I feel grunge was an offshoot of metal, but more on the glam side of it and hair side on the Cartesian chart of metal scope. I'd draw one out for you, but I'm not that talented. Let's just say the four extremes would be Pop on the right, Obscure on the left, Heavy on the bottom, Light on the top. Hatebreed would be somewhere around -2x and -4y on a scale of 10. Nirvana would be more of a 3x, 4y on the scale. POD would be 10x 7y thing. Motorhead -10y and -4x. No question.

Facebook. I dig it, it's a great way to stay in touch, a great way to plan, because almost everyone I know is on facebook, so instead of having to shoot out the same text message 4-5 times because of the 10 contact limit on it, I can just post a facebook invite and let everyone sort it out from there. Plus it has LivingSocial which has a Top 5 list app, and I love it!

The Nightwatchman/Tom Morello, a lot of people write him off as a cut-rate Bruce Springsteen, and I say he's got something different there, he may be influenced highly in that project by him, but I don't see it as a copy.

Street Sweeper Social Club, yeah, another Tom Morello project, but this one is more like Rage, with less of the Audioslave feel. Bootsy Collins doing funk-rock!? WOW! I'm standing in awe, I'm impressed!

A few more over-rated things: The Cure, Pop music, Music video networks that show reality shows; That's not what the fuck you're there for! A spotless house...that's a neurosis not healthy!

Well, breakfast is needed to get the day up and moving, and I'm going to be putting on some tunes to rock out with in the kitchen. Time to rock it out!

No comments: