Sunday, December 13, 2009

The littlest one turns one…and damn I feel old!

Yesterday Lorelei Arvella Ann celebrated her first birthday and I realized how FAST this year really was. I guess between the horrible time she’s had teething, the acid reflux, the many many sleepless nights and the slightly slower development (until recently) has made this year fly by. Despite seeming like it dragged out during said sleepless nights.

Watching her eat her cake, and reminiscing about the past year have made me realize four things:

  • This one is an entirely different being than her older counterpart. She’s so dainty with how she eats her cake, whereas Justeen threw cake at her guests!
  • She’s so bright eyed and inquisitive, she opened her own gifts at her first birthday, Justeen didn’t even do that as well as she could have.
  • She’s so much like her daddy unlike Justeen, so much so that she should have been a boy, she got an Abby Cadabby wand, and beat her stuffed Cookie Monster on the head with it.
  • She eats like a racehorse. She ate the cake, the some broccoli cheese soup and more and more cake.

I’m astounded at this perfect little being who knows so much, says so little, and can peg you for what you are without even hearing you speak!

Lorelei, I hope someday you’ll see this and realize how amazing you are, and how, like you’re sister, you’re as awesome as can be hoped for, despite the things I may have said I wanted you to be. I was a fool to say those things and I feel bad for saying them now because I’m seemingly repentant at all times now for it. But you make it okay, because I think you are a great person, good little girl, and you try to understand what everyone is doing even when it goes against your desires (much to your chagrin). None more has this been evident than when you get your diaper changed and you let us know you don’t want it done.

Enjoy this birthday kiddo, it’s been great so far, let it get better and may you learn more than your mind can hold every day!

No comments: