Tuesday, April 29, 2008

#1: Being a first time dad, the second time around.

Let me tell you about myself first.

I'm a dad already, in case you didn't already catch that. Five years or so ago, we found out that we were having a birth in our little fledgling family. I say that because we were. We'd only been married about four months at that point. And that was not the first thing in my wife's mind. I couldn't have been happier, as a matter of fact, I was jumping for joy on the bed, which subsequently helped the frame start to buckle.

The next 24 weeks were intense and filled with emotions incomparable to any ever experienced up to that date. In that time, we had both lost jobs, and I was trying to find money to get things going. With gas at 1.89 at the time (oh the good ol' days) and traveling 45 minutes to each doctors appt (which got expensive in the last eight weeks!) and living on a shoestring, although at my mom's house (not one of my most proud moments, but thanks mom!), life was too hard to actually enjoy the *whole* pregnancy. We got to enjoy the ultrasound, and the visits, and the eating at Fazoli's before or after each visit :).... And the idea of the drive, and the talks we had.

But this time around, we knew as early as two weeks after the expected ovulation date (more on that later). And the great thing is, I get to see and feel all the changes, much to my wife's behest and sarcastic comments sometimes. But I am the loving hubby, rubbing her back (much to my own behest sometimes, again, more later), getting her stuff most of the time she asks for it, and doting in many ways that I can't describe at this time.

And the fun that can get described in the fact of having a kid, and a cat, at the same time as bringing a new one into the world can only be experienced firsthand, but I'll try to relay it on here as well I can.

Now only to name the little bugger....

No comments: